Nahargarh Fort is one of three forts at Jaipur, Amber Fort and Jaigarh Fort, being the other two. Nahargarh Fort is more like the Jaigarh Fort, situated on top of Aravalli Hills, open spaces, fresh air and great views of the city from the windows in the palaces inside the fort. Nahargarh means an
abode of tigers. Nahargarh Fort was built in 1734 by Maharaja Sawai Jai Singh II, the founder of the city of Jaipur. The fort was extended during the reign of Maharaja Sawai Ram Singh II (1835-1880) and the reign of Maharaja Sawai Madho Singh II (1880-1922). During this time beautiful palaces were built in the fort.
Madhavendra Bhawan is the main palace inside the fort. It has a beautiful arched entrance decorated with rich floral designs. Inside the palace, there is a longish courtyard, with three suites each on the three sides, making a total of nine identical suites inside the palace. These suites are named, Suraj Prakash, Chand Prakash, Khushal Prakash, Anand Prakash, Jawahar Prakash, Laxmi Prakash, Ratna Prakash, Lalit Prakash and Basant Prakash. These suites are two storied with lobby, bedroom, kitchen, store, etc. The suites on a side are interconnected. The windows on top give a grand view of the city of Jaipur.
Diwan-E-Aam is an open air enclosure that served as a meeting place, where the king could meet the people and get to know their problems.
Soldiers' Rest House
This is place where the soldiers could take some rest.